What are the 8 gifts of the Spirit?
The gifts of the Spirit are an important part of the Christian faith. In What the Bible Says about the Holy Spirit, author Charles C. Ryrie states that the purpose of the gifts is to “make us better servants and to edify, or build up, the body of Christ.” In other words, they prepare us to serve in His name, so that all may come to know Him.
The gifts of the Spirit can be divided into two categories: speaking gifts and service gifts. Speaking gifts are those that enable us to have knowledge and understanding of our faith, while service gifts enable us to do acts of charity and help others in need. The Bible lists nine specific gifts in Romans 12:6-8; 1 Corinthians 12:4-11; and 1 Corinthians 12:28.
The Nine Gifts of the Spirit
First, there are the speaking gifts. These include:
1. Prophecy - The ability to receive and interpret messages from God and proclaim them to others.
2. The Word of Knowledge - Having knowledge about something that one could not normally know or understand due to human intelligence.
3. The Word of Wisdom - The ability to understand and apply the knowledge one has.
4. Apostleship - The ability to be ambassadors of God’s will on earth.
5. Teaching - The ability to relate spiritual knowledge and doctrine to others in a meaningful way.
6. Evangelism - The ability to win souls for God.
7. Exhortation - The ability to urge others to walk in the ways of the Lord.
8. Discernment of Spirits - The ability to distinguish between true and false doctrine.
The Service Gifts of the Spirit
The service gifts of the Spirit are those that enable us to be of service to others in need. These include:
1. Leadership - The ability to lead, guide, and direct others in the ways of the Lord.
2. Helps - The ability to be supportive and of service to those in need.
3. Mercy - The ability to forgive and show compassion.
4. Giving - The ability to be generous with our time, talents, and resources.
5. Faith - The ability to trust in God’s promises.
6. Healing - The ability to pray for and to heal others physically, mentally, and spiritually.
7. Miracles - The power to do works that are beyond the power of human ability.
8. Discerning of Spirits - The ability to distinguish and differentiate between true and false spirits.
The eight gifts of the Spirit are an incredible gift from God, enabling us to serve Him and bring others to Him. When we use our gifts for the glory of God and in His service, we will be rewarded eternally.
The Bible states that we should eagerly desire to prophesy and desire for the spiritual gifts. It’s important to remember that the gifts of the Spirit are divinely appointed, and therefore, should be respected and not taken lightly. We must strive to use them in the appropriate manner, for the glory of God and to edify His body.